Re: the language watch continues

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Brian T. Vita wrote:

> My perception of what the college age population views journalism as is
> somewhere akin to prostitution or used car sales.  That, of course, is my
> perception of their opinion.  I could be wrong.

As both a member of the college age population and a (temporarily lapsed)
journalist, I'm finding most of these comments interesting and amusing. In
my own journeys (through both professional and educational journalism
circles) I've found three reasons why people are getting into the field
today (or at least studying for it).

1. Money. Yes, as misguided as it seems, many young students think
Journalism is a high-paying job. They walk into college believing they
will be the next Katie Couric or Bryant Gumbel, without realizing that it
took most of the top people 20 years to get where they are. Of course,
this mostly occurs with Broadcast Journalism students. They can't imagine
that their first paying job in the industry might be a $200-a-week field
producer job in Boise. Of course, they figure it out soon enough - and
that's why a lot of them flee for other employment.
(Don't even get me started on students who want to be sportscasters).

2. Desire to Change the World. It may sound trite - and even harder to
believe - but there are at least a few students who honestly want to help
people. They see journalism as one way of doing that - and, again, it
fades pretty fast once you're stuck on the night shift writing obits.

3. Love. It's what makes you take that $200-a-week job in Boise, and offer
to work every holiday or swing shift. There's that certain spark you get
writing on deadline or cutting tape a second before it's set to go on air.
But it's not just the adrenaline rush or the extra pay - it's the
thought that someone's actually paying you to do what you'd happily do
for free. These are usually the ones who stay with it the longest.

Eventually, though, even that love wears out - and the bills start to pile
up. (For me, it grew harder and harder to get excited about Harvard
Pilgrim and the Big Dig...maybe it's just a function of the Boston news
scene...I dunno). By that point, if you haven't made it, it's over to PR
or Marketing - and the only other thing that might make up for a job you
love - a much bigger paycheck.

--Scott--

Scott J. Saloway
Assistant Producer/On-Air Promotions and Fundraising
WBUR Radio, Boston
saloway@bu.edu
I do not represent Boston University or any other entity.
My opinions are mine and mine alone.