Re: the language watch continues

Brian Vita wrote:

> In a strange sort of way, I think the time has come for this country to
> have a leader that's not afraid to call someone an "asshole".  We've spent
> too much time internationally kissing the butts of every third world
> country.  I would start with the UN and while we're at it, serve them an
> eviction notice for back rent...

OK, I thought we weren't supposed to discuss politics on this list.  Or maybe we
can as long as we don't criticize conservative candidates.  Gee, "W"  sounds like
the "family values" candidate to me.

> Wouldn't it be great to see on the 6PM news today...
>
> "In international news today, President Bush/Gore (take your pick) called
> Saddam Hussein an asshole and told him to stop screwing around or we'll
> send his ass back into the stone age..."

Ah, yes.  Lets just continue to dumb down America even more than it has already.
This type of stuff caters to the Jerry Springer/Howard Stern/not a Dr. Laura type
of broadcasting that people on this list and around the country complain about.

> Now that's how to get the Gen-Xers back into watching the news!

More ageism, I guess.  Gen-Xers don't watch the news for the same reason older
Americans have stopped watching.  Most of it is filled with happy talk and
lifestyle garbage and less real current event related stories and analysis.

> As long as we're on the subject of profanity on the air, what about what
> the rap stations play as music?  Vulgarity, lyrics glorifying rape, cop
> killing, attacking white people, etc.  Is this a double standard?

The corporate-owned stations heavily edit rap and hip-hop titles to get rid of the
profanity before the songs hit the air.  The subject matter may not be to your
liking, but that was why the First Amendment is in the Constitution--and why there
is a tuning knob on your radio.

Mike Thomas