Re: Old Habits Die Hard

Yeah but the buttons that increment or decrement the
frequency or that make the tuner (there's that word
again) seek another strong signal at a higher or lower
frequency are still called tuning controls. (And, in
fact, once you get past the buttons and the display,
most of the circuitry in the tuners of nearly all AM and
FM radios is still analog.) You do have a good point
about "Don't touch that dial," and similar expressions,
however. Still, "don't touch that dial" sounds a lot
better than "Don't touch that tuning control," or
even "Don't touch that 'seek' button." I think the fact
that "dial" sounds nice has a lot to do with why
everybody still talks about "dialing" phone numbers.
When was the last time you saw a dial telephone?

I would be interesting to know whether other languages
retain "dial" as a synonym for "key in" or "punch in" in
contexts that actually once involved dials or rotary
controls.