Re: WMEX to end all-local talk

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000 18:39:08
 dan.strassberg wrote:
>Well, it just might be--as others have said--that you're
>writing WMEX's obit prematurely. After Dave Faneuf wrote
>yesterday that Dr Joy's gig on the WOR network runs from
>10:00 to noon (which are the hours when WCAP carries the
>show live),

Browne's show actually runs from 9am to 12pm
Eastern(WOR AM 710 only carries the first hour).
I very much doubt that she'll do a separate show for
Boston while she's under exclusive contracts to a radio(WOR) and a TV(Viacom) network. She did spent her graduate schools years up there(MA and PhD from Northeastern and postdoc at Tufts) and very familiar with the Boston area. I am pretty sure she had a radio show up in Boston many years ago. She's tapes her weekday TV show(for Viacom's EyeMark Proudctions) in the afternoons so being on the mic for 2 more hours for a small station up in Boston is pretty much out of the question.

Besides, she can't really do politics or issues
like Burns does. She's a personal advice dispenser(a much nicer version of Dr. Laura). Doing extra two
hours just for the Boston audience doesn't make
much sense from 12 to 2pm. It's a safe bet her show will air on a tape-delay. Reading all the discussion
on this list about the situation with WMEX, it sounds
like the station is struggling in some dayparts
and starting to fill the weaker spots in the schedule
with better (financially) suited programming(syndication)...I think it's a good strategy on their part. I wouldn't worry yet. Once they start filling up mornings and afternoon drives with syndication, then you'll know for sure they're really in trouble financially...

Jerry Decker
Decker Media Consulting
Brooklyn, NY

Send your favorite photo with any online greeting!
http://www.whowhere.lycos.com/redirects/americangreetings.rdct