Re: WMEX to end all-local talk

Depends how you count "day 1." In both of its
incarnations as a low-power daytimer focused on
MetroWest (the original WGTR Natick from 1972 to 1981
and the original WJLT from 1997 until February of this
year), 1060 was quite successful.

The station ran into trouble from which it never fully
recovered when it increased its day power and went on
the air full-time in 1981. Just at that time, John
Garabedian, who owned WGTR, realized that, as a music
medium skewed to younger audiences (which were all he
was interested in), AM was finished.

So he thought he'd do all news and create an interesting
24/7 news operation in conjunction with Channel 66
(which, at first, was to be called WGTR-TV). Garabadian
was still building Channel 66 when WGTR (AM) received
program test authnority for its 25 kW-D/2.5 kW-N
operation (which was almost immediately limited to 13 kW-
D/1200W-N).

But the late Jim MacAlister, the young fellow who had so
ably headed WGTR (AM)'s news operation from the time the
station first signed on, decided to quit and go into the
family landscaping business. Garbedian also had too many
irons in the fire at the time--TV was only one--and WGTR
went rapidly downhill from there. The problems with
obtaining a license (it was never granted) to cover the
full-time operation certainly didn't help.

What followed was a series of LMAs. The first, with a
lady from Texas, resulted in the station becoming WSTD,
the first all-satellite music station in greater Boston.
Besides calls that had a lot of people joking about the
station being named for sexually transmitted diseases,
WSTD, one of the first affiliates of ABC/SMN's StarDusT
adult-standards Stardust format, was very poorly
executed. But then, there were very few 100% satellite
stations from which to learn.

Another early LMA was with Pat Whitley, who rechistened
the station WTTP and changed the format to locally
originated talk. (Sound familiar? Of course, nearly all
talk radio was local then. Networked talk existed only
during the overnight hours.) Whitley blamed most of the
problems on the signal, which would have been much
better if the FCC had allowed the station to operate at
the power specified in its CP.

I've lost track of the other LMAs. I think a Chritian
format was next, followed by brokered ethnic, followed
by Christian again, and eventually by going dark until
Langer and LMA partner Great Commission Broadcasting
(now Grace Broadcasting) umm, resurrected the station
(couldn't resist) as Christian-formatted WJLT.

As a Boston signal, 1060 has several liabilities. In
town, the daytime signal is merely adequate,
notwithstanding the great signal in much of New England.
Because WBZ, whose TX is in Hull, is only 30 kHz away,
this situation cannot be improved. At night, 1060 will
never be able to put an adquate signal into Boston.

Nevertheless, the channel is very clean during the day,
and unless the CRTC puts a 1060 station back on the air
in Quebec City (an application has been filed), this is
true even during critical hours. However, even when WGTR
was using relatively high daytime power, the Quebec 1060
used to decimate WGTR's signal over most of the market
from mid-afternoon until sunset during the autumn.

There are, however, two sides to being only 30 kHz away
from WBZ. It may be less important now that most people
use digitally tuned radios, but with analog tuning, a
lot of people would just happen upon the 1060 station.
Few dial positions in this market have a similar
advantage.

When Langer was about to put WMEX back on the air last
winter, I gave it 18 months tops. Then I heard the
product and the signal and I was greatly impressed. I've
never been highly optimistic about the station's
prospects, but I've felt--and still feel--that it may
have a chance. I don't understand why guys like you and
Mike Thomas seem to derive so much pleasure from writing
off anything decent that appears on the air.