Re: WMEX to end all-local talk

On 21 Aug 2000,  ASchinella@aol.com wrote:

> While the economics of current radio production leads owners to do
> syndication, I have found the local "has-beens" you mentioned on WMEX (and
> that of the FM talker, too) are a breath of fresh air compared to WRKO's
> talk formats in Boston.

All of this may be true, but there has to be someone listening, or the
station can't pay its bills.  Unfortunately, the only way to get a large
listenership is to do heavy promotion, and that costs a lot of money.
Whenever I've listened to WMEX, I've heard very few listeners calling in
and very few ads.  That can't go on unless Langer is willing to run a
station the Bob Bittner way.  And while I am grateful that we have Bob
Bittner, I haven't noticed anyone trying to imitate him.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                        617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                     lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503      http://world.std.com/~lawyer/