Re: WMEX to end all-local talk

<<  No, dammit! It's _not_ just radio. It's a refusal of the majority of
Americans to deal with any topic of any substance. >>

I agree. Radio is not the problem, it's a symptom. You'd think that --in the
longest period of prosperity in the most successful society the world has
ever known-- that it would occur to more people that this is a time during
which we all have the most to lose if our system of self-governance blows up
due to public apathy. But like a 16 year-old driving a Camaro with a couple
of cans of beer in him, the majority of the American citizenry believes that
the country is indestructible and that past good fortune will continue
forever with no attention or maintenance whatsoever.

The half of the electorate that bothers to vote regularly elects the
charlatan who makes the most bodacious promises to a lifetime sinecure in
Washington. Meanwhile, the cocktail party chatter revolves around who might
make it through this week's "Survivor" program, what color tie Regis might
next wear on "Millionaire," or perhaps a quote of some vaccuous statement
made on a recent Rosie O'Donuts Show.

The old adage "Never discuss religion or politics" survives, I suspect,
because people are hypocritical about the former and ignorant on the latter.

So, is it any wonder that Gene Burns discussing the deterioration of the
Constitution in modern-day politics gets a point 3 share, while Howie Carr
asking people to phone in anecdotes relating to the last time they "did it"
in a phone booth garners a 4.7?