Re: Verizon coverage and sponsorships

In a message dated 08/18/2000 9:10:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Dib9 writes:

<<  It's situations like this one that make me believe that journalists
should not be doing advertising. >>

Dan,

    then big business, of which broadcasting has become a part, needs to
rethink downsizing and staff cuts.  gone are the days when the booth
announcer was actually in the booth, doing the OEC's live, and the subsequent
period of time when the station's staff announcer was the disembodied voice
providing the tracks for carted drop-ins.  there are plenty of voice talents
available doing voice work for broadcast stations (Jim Cutler and somebody
else.... i'm sure his name will come to me....<g>), but doing stuff of a
time-sensitive nature is not always in the budget.  money rules these things.
 and since that aspect of the biz is out of my hands, and somebody has to
voice the copy, if a news person is the only voice available at the news
station, then that's the way it is.  (thank you, Mister Cronkite)
   proponents of downsizing staff to increase profit are the ones who should
have a problem with this.  but since you shifted the thread to an old
argument long since gone to which we disagree (but doesn't make YOU a bad
person), it stands as it is.  buy a company and make your product.  then you
can keep the journalists off the commercial copy.
    the original thread merely poses a question on the issue of common sense.
 when the sponsor becomes the news, be flexible enough to protect both your
own station's integrity and that of the sponsor.  move the spot, do the
story, and everybody wins.

- -Chuck Igo