Re: Big-D 103

  A. Joseph Ross wrote:

> While they've added the "Oldies 102.9, DRC-FM" slogan, they don't
> seem to be dropping the Big-D 103 slogan, at least not yet.  The most
> telling evidence is that they've got one jingle which says "Big D 103
> Oldies 102.9," combining the two.  Perhaps it is because they're
> celebrating the 40th anniversary, but I'm betting that the "Big-D
> 103" slogan isn't going to be dropped entirely.

  I also heard that same jingle,and IIRC,another one that has both slogans
in it.I had WDRC-FM on in the car driving through the Hartford area coming
and going to Virginia Beach. Last Sunday morning,about 9AM, WBLM was
blowing " Big D-103" out of the water pretty much from the MA-CT border on
I-84 to about 30 miles out of Downtown Hartford. It must have been
conditions that morning, as on the return trip through last night, WDRC-FM
made it to the Worcester/Auburn line on I-290. Sunday there wasn't much
pre-1964 music played in the hour or so that we listened. On the return
trip, we caught some of the special highlights of the 40th anniversary
weekend, such as a promo announcing the arrival of "Big D" on August
18th,1960 at 5AM, and the many giveaways planned on that day. Also heard a
promo for the "Big D Teen Election" at the Hartford State Armory, probably
late 60's vintage judging by the content of the promo (what do you think
about using pot,LSD,the Vietnam War,etc.). A taped phone bit from former
WDRC personality Jerry Bishop, who indicated he was there through most of
the 60's, commenting on how much fun he had there and giving credit to the
late Charlie Parker, WDRC's PD from 1960-1983, for making WDRC the great
station it was. Heard a few pre-1964 tunes last night as well. IMHO this
weekend's WDRC 40th anniversary weekend should make for some good aircheck
opportunities.

Mark Watson