Re: Verizon coverage and sponsorships

Chuck Igo wrote:
>> ... in radio, ..., if there is a plane crash, the >> announcer/producer/anchor usually makes sure the
>> airline spots, ..., are removed from the news
>> spot-slots

Larry Weil replied:
>The announcer/producer/anchor making decisions about commercials?
>That's the job of the traffic department, we in master control get
>our instructions from them.  If someone in news wants a commercial
>killed or moved, they have to go through traffic.
>The airline commercials are usually killed by the airlines (through
>their ad agencies) themselves, the station would still be under
>contract to air them otherwise.

When I worked at WRKO, there was a standing order (from traffic -
per request of the airlines)posted on the bulletin board in the
News Room - if there's a story about a plane crash and an
airline is a sponsor of the news - kill the spot.  This was
directed to the Newsmen, the announcers and the board ops.
Pro-active, not re-active.

Roger Kirk
rogerkirk@ttlc.net