Re: WHUB............

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000 18:01:50 EDT Abyss5X5@aol.com writes:
> In a message dated 8/17/00 12:48:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> tklaundry@juno.com writes:
>
> > Let's see,  Metro provides all the news for most stations in and
> around
> >  Boston, then there's  Rush Limbaugh, Dr. Laura, Dean Edell, etc,
> etc,
> >  etc.
>
> Let's look at the list above.  Rush, Laura, Edell are all on one
> station.
> That doesn't seem worth condemming the entire market.

       The Etc, etc etc was to avoid naming everyone that is syndicated
in town,  just to name two more in this "Local" market, can you say
Howard and Imus?  (That makes three major stations mentioned in Boston
alone, I bet you can name more).

> WEEI is mostly local...

       Is that like being slightly pregnant?

> On the FM dial Kiss 108 does their own news and traffic in morning
> and  afternoon,
> WFNX does their own news.

      I was not aware that Kiss does news in the afternoon any longer,
it was my understanding they dumped afternoon news in November of 96.

> WFNX
    Can't say I listen to this one, we can always get into the what is
News and entertainment casting later.

>Let see if anyone can produce  a list  of just what stations Metro or
Shadow actually > >does and what  percentage of  each station's news is
done by them.

    I'd like to see that myself and compare it against what was offered
pre-merger Metro days.

> I'd love to see which stations actually hire outside consultants
> these days.  I'd wager it's significantly less that one would think.

     You think they let jocks fly by the seat of their pants still?  I
think that groups (in today's merger market a more accurate term than
stations)  hire consultants to deal with more than one property in more
than one market so in that sense the number of consultants could be
significanatly less than one would think.

> I don't feel all the stations are playing the same music.  Actually
> years ago when WRKO, WBZ, WHDH, WVBF, WROR, wer all around THEY were
all >the same full service format.  I don't see that happening today.

    When WBZ was top 40 WRKO had not arrived on the scene, WRKO knocked
off WBZ and BZ changed format to more "MOR".  WVBF did the same to WRKO
who eventually went talk.  WROR was the only "Oldies" station in the
market back then (remember the Golden Great 98?) no one else did that.
The only stations on your comparison list that went head to head for any
length of time were WBZ and WHDH.  To call WVBF (where I worked for 6
years), the old WROR and WRKO (at the time)  full service is quite a
leap!

> Today it's narrowcasting---not broadcasting.  More stations doing a
> variety  of formats than ever.

	Interesting,  let's try to list the formats but we have to use the same
terminology in otherwords Oldies, Classic rock etc would be the same.

	Oldies.....wods, wzlx, wror, wqsx
	News.....wbz,
	Talk .......wrko, wtkk, weei,
	Alternative....wbcn, wfnx, waaf,
	Top 40 ...wxks, wjmn, wbmx,
                AC....wmjx, wbos, wplm,
	Country... wklb

I quite frankly don't believe there is a whole lot of difference between
Top 40 and AC except that AC stations generally don't play anything with
a beat.  So your wider variety of formats with narrowcasting is boiled
down to at best 7 (if you believe T40 and AC are different) split amoung
18 commerical stations only 2 of which I would classify as full service.

> Thanks for the time.  ;-)

Okay, I'm done with my rant for now,  thanks

df