Re: WHUB............

In a message dated 8/17/00 12:48:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tklaundry@juno.com writes:

> Let's see,  Metro provides all the news for most stations in and around
>  Boston, then there's  Rush Limbaugh, Dr. Laura, Dean Edell, etc, etc,
>  etc.  the only "local" radio these days is music driven stations that
>  hire jocks that sound the same and read the same liner cards, play the
>  same music, work for the same consultants as any other market owned by
>  any particular group in the country.  Technically they may be local but
>  not really.

Let's look at the list above.  Rush, Laura, Edell are all on one station.
That doesn't seem worth condemming the entire market.  WRKO does all their
own news--none from Metro (They even have their very own am/pm traffice
reporter--while Metro does the rest of their traffic)  WBZ is all local--no
syndication at all.   WEEI is mostly local except the overnights and some
weekends and some national play-by-play.

On the FM dial Kiss 108 does their own news and traffic in morning and
afternoon, WFNX does their own news.   Let see if anyone can produce a list
of just what stations Metro or Shadow actually does and what percentage of
each station's news is done by them.

I don't know of tto may syndicated music programs except a few on weekends in
the city.  I could be wrong though.  Can anyone list them?

I'd love to see which stations actually hire outside consultants these days.
I'd wager it's significantly less that one would think.

A portion of my position is that general statements are often inaccurate.  I
don't feel all the stations are playing the same music.  Actually years ago
when WRKO, WBZ, WHDH, WVBF, WROR, wer all around THEY were all the same full
service format.  I don't see that happening today.

Today it's narrowcasting---not broadcasting.  More stations doing a variety
of formats than ever.

Thanks for the time.  ;-)