Re: WDRC / Big D

Even I, as "emperor" of WDRCOBG.COM (thanks Marty!), can't give a
definitive answer about when WDRC 1360 started calling itself Big D.  The
promotional newspaper ads heralding the switch from CBS/MOR to pop music
in August 1960 don't mention Big D.

The first reference to Big D I have in print is a music survey dated
September 18, 1961.  Prior to that, "Radio Fun" or "Radio One" seemed to
be the official nicknames.  A station aircheck composite produced for the
sales rep, John Blair, in late 1961 refers to Big D.  My best guess is
that the nickname wasn't in use right at the beginning of the switch.

It's a plausible theory that WDRC "borrowed" the slogan from WDEE Hamden.
 Does anybody know when WDEE gave up the ghost?  I have an aircheck of
Kevin McKeown at WDEE on August 1, 1967, and they were still using Big D.
 I may need to bother Don Blair in his Florida retirement - he worked
there prior to joining NBC in New York.

Ed Brouder
Man From Mars Productions
www.wdrcobg.com
www.manfrommars.com

On Sun, 13 Aug 2000 12:17:59 -0500 mwaters@mail.wesleyan.edu (Martin J.
Waters) writes:
>I just took Howard Glazer's suggestion and looked at www.wdrcobg.com,
which is part of the Ed Brouder empire >of excellent websites, :). It has
stuff about "Big D Big Shows" in the early 1960s....

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.