Sports Flagships (was: Censorship at WTKK)

Dib9@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 8/10/00 4:24:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time, hmglaz@webtv.net
> writes:
>
> << You hear "Rangers and Flyers at 7:30 on 102.7 FM" or "Mets-Astros can be
>  heard at 8 on 1050 AM" -- never a mention of WNEW-FM or WEVD. >>
>
> That's the right way to do it.  You serve the listeners by telling them where
> to hear the game but do not give an unneeded plug to the competition.  Why
> should you mention the call letters in the situation you describe?  Most
> non-radio geeks identify stations more by dial position than call letters
> anyway.

Leads me to a pet peeve... Flagships who use their calls when
identifying the network down the line, e.g., "WEEI Red Sox Radio
Network."  Here in VT, I notice that WKDR (1390 Burlington) IDs the VT
Expos as the "VT Expos Radio Network" which is all over the place.  I
recall WRKO and the former WHDH not jamming the calls in there.  Even
WBCN gets a plug with the Pat's network and it just sounds small
market or, at the very least, tacky.

Bill O'Neill