Re: Maine Public Radio expanding

Rod O'Connor asked:

> Does Maine Public Radio still have plans for WHQO 107.9 Skowhegan?

It hasn't been mentioned lately in the program guide.  I had to go back
to the July 1999 issue of Airplay to find this from the pen of Charles
Beck, MPBC's Director of Radio Services:

"Some of you saw the newspaper article regarding the donation of WHQO-FM
in Skowhegan to Maine Public Broadcasting by Cumulus Corporation, which
had exceeded the limit of stations allowed to be owned by one company
with their recent purchase of several commercial properties in Maine.
Thank you Cumulus.  If you are a loyal reader of this column, you know
we have been working on improving our reception in both western and
midcoast areas of the state, and this gift will certainly help us!
Having said that, we are still a ways away from realizing this gift
on-air; we have several legal hurdles to pass, and operational and
physical decisions and modifications to make as well.  We are
tremendously excited about this, and will keep you posted!  Thank you
Cumulus.  Did I already say that?"

Yes, but loyal readers have seen no mention of WHQO in Mr. Beck's column
since then.

Mr. O'Connor wrote further:

> I did send  an e-mail asking the same to their management, but so far
> nothing heard..

I have had occasion over the years to communicate programming concerns
to MPR management and have been impressed with the responses I
received.  I didn't always like the answers, but my concerns were
addressed.  MPR has a far, far better audience response track record
than NHPR.