[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Lowell Folk Festival 2000

Confusion did seem to reign as it rained at the Lowell Folk Festival today.
I heard many performers complain that first they were sent to the Lowell
Memorial Auditorium, then back to Lowell High School's Auditorium.  WCAP and
I went over to St. Joseph the Worker Shrine and were back on live from 3 - 7
broadcasting the live "coffee house" set up by Fr John Cox in the basement
of the Shrine.  We acutally stayed on the air longer than the festival
lasted since the coffee house went well beyond the scheduled 6 pm ending of
the festival.

No sign of WCCM today.

-gary francis
eagerly awaiting the 40 lbs of assorted potato salads on Aug 12th

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark" <markwats@netway.com>
To: "Dave Faneuf" <tklaundry@juno.com>
Cc: <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 30, 2000 10:50 PM
Subject: Re: Lowell Folk Festival 2000

>   Dave Faneuf wrote:
> >> I don't know, 2 am's and 3 fm's sounds like pretty good coverage to me
>   I was making reference to actual broadcasts of festival performances
> one of the six festival stages (WCAP,WJUL,WGBH) as opposed to the regular
> format remote with interviews/cut ins (WCCM,WHOB)
> > > WGBH-FM was on hand as usual at Boarding House Park with Dick
> > > Pleasants
> > > hosting a special edition of his weekly 'Folk Heritage" show.
> >
> > And doing a GREAT job I might add, audio quality and presentation
> > were outstanding!
>   I believe WGBH used an ISDN set up to feed the show back to the
> studio.WCAP and WJUL used their Martis to feed the show back to studio.
>   Speaking of WCAP, today's rain shortened feed from JFK Plaza was marred
> by a loud hum that by the time the rains really let loose,it was almost
> overpowering the stage feed of the Polka band that was onstage at the
> time.The band played on till the festival's overall stage supervisor
> ordered all stages shut down and power shut down for a rain delay.The
> person(s) responsible for killing the juice not only shut off the
> also killed the power box that the WCAP mobile studio and several of the
> food booths in the plaza were running from.Soon after that WCAP had it's
> power restored and Gary Francis filled part of the rain delay time with
> some historical tidbits about Lowell.A few minutes later I tuned back in
> and they were rolling pre-recorded festival music from the studio I would
> imagine,as the mobile studio doesn't have CD players installed in it.The
> festival eventually went to the rain plan using indoor venues,and since
> there was mass confusion with the transportation of performers that I was
> helping to sort out,I ended up being away from a radio for the rest of the
> afternoon,so I'm not sure if WCAP ended up at an inside stage or if they
> packed it up early.I'm not sure if WJUL was on hand today and if they
> were,what happened to them in the foul weather.
> > > None of the Saturday night shows had any radio coverage
> > I thought the festival wrapped up at 6pm Saturday night.
>  The festival runs till about 10PM on Friday and Saturday nights.In past
> years,WJUL has always carried a stage on Friday and Saturday nights,as did
> WLLH in the pre-Mega era.WCAP has never done any night coverage,and one
> year WGBH did carry a Friday night show from Boarding House Park.
> Mark Watson