Re: WNAB

I think the 660 chronology (sans dates) is WEAF
(originally owned by AT&T), WNBC, WRCA, WNBC, WFAN.

There was a time when RCA was hung up on having "RC" in
its stations' calls. WRC in washington (now WTEM) had,
in that day, always been WRC. I don't know what it was
immediately after WRC, but it must have been some other
four-letter call sign, because it then became WWRC (the
closest the new ownership could get to the original
three-letter calls). I think it remained WWRC until it
flipped calls with co-owned WTEM.

KYW, which had been traded to NBC for WTAM became WRCV
(for RCA-Victor), and WNBC became WRCA. WTAM, under
Westinghouse ownership, became KYW. And when the courts
threw out the forced Cleveland/Philadelphia swap, the
station became WKYC (The WTAM calls were then otherwise
occupied, I believe, and NBC chose calls that suggested
the immediately previous KYW calls, which moved back to
Philly.)

As far as I know, though, the San Francisco station,
currently KNBR, was never involved in the RC madness. It
was once KPO and, as far as I know, went from KPO to
KNBC to KNBR. I think KRCA would have been a natural,
but I don't believe that those calls ever stopped at 680
in SF.

Man, does this get confusing!