Re: WCRB (programming)

In a message dated 6/29/00 11:03:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Jibguy writes:

<< OK, how about: In spirit, licensees have a responsibility to assist, help,
have a positive influence on the populace.  No?  Then how about
mildly-positive?
 Then do you, Dan, believe also that NO public affairs programming should
ever be required?  (serious question).  I feel an LTAR debate at WJTO coming
on.......
 ----jibguy >>

My serious answer to your first two questions is who judges what is a
"positive influence" and how do you set standards that licensees can be held
to?  What stations would you say provide nothing positive?  If people listen
to a station, doesn't that mean that a portion of the public finds the
station to be providing something positive?

As for public affairs programming: I do not think such a requirement is
necessary, though the FCC clearly has the authority to make such requirements
under the law.

My personal view is that the government should in no way regulate the content
of programming broadcast by commercial radio and television stations.  Let
the market decide what is appropriate programming.  The FCC should stick to
setting technical standards and enforce them better than they do now and not
worry about what dirty words Howard Stern uses on his show.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine
   Proud Free Speech Extremist ("Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice.")