Re: WCRB (programming)

In a message dated 6/29/00 2:25:04 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
umar@nerodia.wcrb.com writes:

<< you have to give your listeners what they want and avoid
 giving them things they don't want.  >>

The above, in response to mild attacks on WCRB's repetitive playlist.....
But Rob, isn't it true that we are what we eat?  And therefore, while not a
rule,  in spirit, licensees are trustees to provide a wide or at least
moderately-wide product in order to broaden listeners' horizons?  Yes? No?

When a kid enters school he/she is exposed to dozens of "subjects" in math,
arts, science, social, history, etc, which keep going til 12th grade.    I
would dare to say that the standard narrow-playlist-stations is equivalent to
permanently cutting off students' exposure at grade 2 instead of 12.

I can't deny that WCRB is giving people what they want, in all seriousness,
but Rob, I think your statement of giving 'classical music lovers' what they
want is erroneous. Ted Jones did that much much better.   WCRB has the right
formula for the masses, better than any other in the nation!   -The same
formula that Readers Digest, in the 1950's produced and sold a 12-record set
called "Festival of Light Classical Music".

But also, let's keep in mind that as a priority:  'board of directors and
stockholders; keeping them happy'  is not necessarily being a good public
trustee of a sliver of the airwaves spectrum.

----jibguy