Re: Fwd: re:WCRB signal

On 28 Jun 2000,  umar@nerodia.wcrb.com wrote:

> No; rather, you have to give your listeners what they want and avoid
> giving them things they don't want.

As I recall, when WCRB had a newsgroup on its Website, there were a lot of
criticisms, mainly for the frequency of repetition of works.  And everyone
I know who likes classical music is upset with WCRB for its habit of
repeating works too often.

> Playing a piece once a week, always in a different daypart, hardly
> constitutes "inane repetition";

Maybe not, but I know I have heard things played much more often than
that.

> if people perceive it as such, that
> probably means the piece in question should be taken off the playlist.

But that's what seems to be happening.  A piece is repeated endlessly
until listeners are thoroughly tired of it, then it is taken off and never
heard at all.

> No, there is always WHRB, and WHRB does a pretty impressive job, even if
> it's a member of its board of trustees who says so.

Right now, WHRB seems to have stopped playing classical music altogether.
They used to play jazz until 1 PM on weekdays, then play classical until
well into the evening.  Now, they seem to have jazz and other sorts of
exotic music all the time, and no classical.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                        617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                     lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503      http://world.std.com/~lawyer/