Re: WCRB signal

On 25 Jun 2000,  umar@nerodia.wcrb.com wrote:

> 1) If you're using a radio with a telescoping whip antenna, try retracting
> it. If you're listening from a concrete and steel building, try moving the
> radio into the interior of the building, away from windows. Either of these
> methods will reduce the amount of RF reaching the radio and perhaps
> eliminate the overloading.

With the layout of my office, I can't think of an alternative place to put
my radio at the moment, even though it is in the window.  The antenna I'm
using is a fairly short piece of ribbon wire.  A full FM T-antenna makes
reception impossible.  Maybe I'll try something even shorter.

> 4) To eliminate the intermod product on top of WCRB it may only be
> necessary to notch out one or two of the Pru stations, and you can make a
> notch filter out of a piece of coax by trimming it to precisely one quarter
> wavelength at the frequency of the offending station.

This sounds like a possibility.  What's 1/4 wavelength of 105.7?

> Connect one end of
> the coax across the antenna terminals; leave the other end open. An open
> circuit 1/4 wavelength away translates to a short, and if you are careful
> you can achieve 40 dB of suppression this way. I have found that two or
> more of these simple filters can be connected in parallel to suppress more
> than one station.

Do I also connect the antenna or do I let the filter itself act as the
antenna?

> 5) If all else fails, listen to WCRB via the Internet.

To do that, I'd have to have a soundcard in my office computer and a
dedicated phone line.  Not in the cards, I'm afraid.

Thanks for your suggestions.  I think I'll try shortening the antenna and,
perhaps, the notch filter.  Meanwhile, I seem to be able to listen to WJIB
in the office -- or at least I could on Friday.   I wonder how long that
will last.

I take it, from your reply, that nothing in particular has happened to
WCRB's transmitted signal which might have caused my increased reception
difficulties in the past week or so.  Right?

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                        617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                     lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503      http://world.std.com/~lawyer/