Re: The good Lord and the crick (was Hub radio legend will say aloha this fall)

My guess is that radio personalities (and not just on
country-formatted stations) have been ending their shows
with that cliche since long before Charles Lacquidera
entered radio--more'n likely since Hank Williams (Sr)
was knee-high to a grasshopper <g>. The standard
locution is something like "Time t' say s' long. But
we'll be seein' ya agin' t'marrah--if the good Lord's
willin' an' th' cr[ic]k don't rise." In fact, I think
Arthur Godfrey used the "good Lord willin'" part for
decades as part of his closer, and eventually recorded a
song based on it. He might even have written the song or
helped to write it. Needless to say (given Godfrey's
golden touch), the song was at least a moderate hit.