Re: another AM over and out

<< <<On Thu, 01 Jun 2000 23:49:42 -0400, SteveOrdinetz
<steveord@wavewizard.com> said:

 > Were they running with some sort of CD jukebox automation around
 > then? >>

WZPK was not running any type of automation when I arrived there in '93. The
standard Denon CD cart machines were in place, with most of the music played
off TM Century GoldDisc and HitDisc. I understand the record service was
pretty spotty prior to my arrival and they needed to buy the currents and
recurrents.

I had heard stories of an automation system that was filled with glitches and
mis-cued songs. As a matter of fact, I remember a newspaper clipping showing
a photo of Engineer Roger Brace working on installing what looked like a
Pioneer CD jukebox, but in all my time there, I never saw any of that
equipment anywhere in the building.

And, an educated guess as to the system that was there? I would probably say
TM Century's UDS. The "Ultimate Digital Studio" used Pioneer CD changers and
the Computer Concepts DCS harddrive system for spots, liners and jingles. The
voice track system was crude at best, and would account for the previously
mentioned liner over a cold intro. Even though UDS is a VERY outdated system
by today's standards, it still works and is currently STILL on the air,
running a soft AC format at one of the stations in Little Rock, where I was
prior to XLO.

Rob Walker
104.5 WXLO