local radio advertisers CAN survive

----- Original Message -----
From: SteveOrdinetz <steveord@wavewizard.com>
To: <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2000 12:25 AM
Subject: Re: ghosts of am's past

<20 years ago a station
> owner could make a passable living on "Main St" businesses.  These
> businesses could usually be counted on to buy time on the local station.
> Then along came Walmart, Home Depot, Rite Aid and the like.  These
> companies, when the use radio at all deal thru agencies, who go strictly
by
> the numbers.  As Mom & Pop businesses folded, there went the financial
> support.

As a radio advertising salesman in a medium-sized market (Akron, 68th)...
...I couldn't agree more with Steve's comments.

Back in the 70's when I was a jock, I remember reading commercials
that we're 70, 80, sometimes 90% local, direct advertisers. The local
car dealers, the locally-owned furniture stores and small department
stores, local restaurants, etc.,etc.! What's really dropped off is the
multi-location, locally-owned business. You know...the guy who owns
4 local restaurants, 3 appliance stores, etc.,etc.

Now, we're about 75% agency, and about 25% local direct. And, about
80% of that local direct advertising is from one-location businesses who
are still hanging on.

The sad thing is, small, one-location businesses can still compete...and
in many cases do very well in the face of the huge-chain stores. Obviously,
I'm a big radio believer. I feel if the local business picks a radio station
or
two who's format best matches their typical customer, and runs a steady
weekly ad schedule (even if it's 5 or 10 ads a week) in highly-listened to
time slots....and keep that steady, 52-week-a-year schedule...the public
will over time become familiar and shop that business. I know it works,
it's about 15-20% of my personal income & client-base. The challenge
is getting the local business owner to understand and buy-into the
plan.