Re: ghosts of am's past

I wouldn't be suprised to see it happen down the line, especially if
satellite radio takes off and pulls listeners away from terrestrial-based
stations.  Just like with AM, in this scenario the big blowtorch signals on
FM will be the most profitable while the smaller, fringe signals will resort
to time brokered programming and such, before fizzling out altogether.
However, at this point these fringe stations are used by corporate ownership
to support a stronger FM sister station in a cluster, and as long as this
approach remains profitable, these signals will remain on the air.

Mike Thomas