Fwd: Re: Movement atop WBZ-TV tower

> On Sun, 21 May 2000 lglavin@lycosmail.com wrote:

> > About two months ago, I noticed that the top-mounted
> > TV antenna for channel 4 on Cedar St Needham was
> > missing, but channel 4 was available to all.  On
> > a clear day, I went over to St Mary St to check it
> > out from a ringside seat.  It appeared that a low-
> > numbered-channel TV antenna had been installed on one
> > leg of the tower and I assumed that WBZ-TV was
> > being transmitted from this temporary apparatus while
> > work commenced atop the tower.  Well, NO work commenced
> > for weeks, perhaps owing to the wet, windy spring
> > weather.  Now some sign of progress is apparent;
>
> I've been following the disassembly of the top section of the tower for
> some time now; it started in March, and by the end of the first week of
> April the tower was down to 850 feet. Then the bad weather struck, and no
> additional work was done for about three weeks. They've since added a new
> transition section and maybe four or five 20-foot sections of 7-foot-face
> (the old top section was 5-foot-face); when done, I understand the tower
> will be about 100 feet taller than it used to be.
>
> Channel 4 may be running from its auxiliary antenna on the short tower;
> I've no idea what Channels 2, 5, and 44 are doing.
>
> The entire project is about a year and a half behind schedule; I was told
> it was originally scheduled for the summer of 1998.

> Rob Landry
> umar@nerodia.wcrb.com
850 feet?  The antennas for channels 5 and 2 were in
place this whole time, and they're 980 and 1080 feet
respectively.  CBS seems to have been in a hurry to
evict WCRB from its tower, only to put off rebuilding
for a long time, as you described.  No problem...
there's almost never anything interesting on WCRB
(the "almost" qualifier pertains to BSO broadcasts)so
the premature evacuation of 102.5 from 350 Cedar St
and the attendant signal diminution didn't deprive
serious music listeners.
BTW, I've heard that MANY television station owners
are having trouble getting their DTV projects completed
because there are only so many workers available to
spend 8 hours or more a day on rigs a thousand feet
in the air!

Laurence from Methuen

Get free personalized email at http://email.lycos.com