Re: Radio One

In a message dated 5/16/00 4:38:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
fybush@world.std.com writes:

<< On Radio One: Don't expect a simulcast on AM and FM.  It's just
 not the way this company plays the game.  In Washington, they're
 running no fewer than four urban formats: >>

Scott, they do seem to be a company that likes to do things first class. But
you have to remember that, as previously posted, that Baltimore and
Washington are markets which have significantly more African-Americans in
them than do Boston. The inner city of Boston is still quite diverse.

<< (And mind you, that's just *half* the market's black-oriented
 stations -- Howard University's top-rated WHUR-FM, Infinity's
 gospel WPGC  >>

Infinity owns an urban station? I never thought that was a format which Mel
would touch, to be honest. Then again, I guess WBZ is also an Infinity
station as well.

<< I wouldn't be surprised at all to see WILD(AM) go to some
 combination of talk and R&B oldies, with WILD-FM (no, I don't
 know for sure, but why buy AM 1090 if you don't make better
 use of the "WILD" brand name?) going for the younger audience. >>

I would agree with this. If they keep the AM as gold oldies, they can always
capitalize on the old-time crowd which has always listened to WILD. The FM
would allow them to hang on with the younger base that doesn't appreciate
having to turn their radios off at night (when they're partying!) and get no
music.

I wonder what made Nash sell now? It's a shame to see them go, but we all saw
it coming once Radio One bought WCAV last year. Is there any chance they can
move the COL for 97.7 any closer to Boston now they'll have studios in Dudley
Square?