Re: Larry Glick?

Tried my best to stay up past 11 last night to listen for Larry; but
come 11:15 I was sound asleep. Since I have been standing 8-hour night
shifts since last Sat. I  think the hours are catching up.

I'll never forget the opportunity I had to talk to Larry on the air back
in June 1984. I was stationed in Kodiak Alaska (275 miles SW of
Anchorage) and DXing the AM dial, in hope of getting some lower-48 clear
channel stations.
Would have been happy with WCBS, WGN or WHAM. It was  difficult during
the best winter-time DX openings, but during June with nearly 20-hours
of daylight I knew I was pushing my luck. But just after midnight Alaska
Daylight Time (4AM EDT) Sure enough, low in the noise underneath KTWO
was that song "I'm just wild about Larry.".I listened for a few minutes,
waiting for Larry to get back on, and as the signal faded up a little;
there he was..
 I was beside myself, and anxiously dialed 617-254-5678, the number he
had back then as I recall.  As soon as  I got the screener,  told him I
was calling from Alaska and within a minute I was talking to Larry live.
He was real friendly and actually sounded like he appreciated hearing
from somebody listening way up in Alaska;
He asked me a lot of questions about what life was like there, the town,
the weather. I mentioned I grew up around Boston, that I used grew to
listen to Carl DeSuze, Watched Jack Chase, Don Kent and Rex Trailer,
eventually, he aked me why I was up there. When I explained that I was
in the Coast Guard, he went on to talk about a big rescue off the coast
of Cape Cod that was in the news there a few days earlier.  Anyway, I
was on about 15 minutes and we had a great chat,.  True, it was 4AM
there in Boston, and obviously not a whole lot of people listening; but
it was a real kick for me. And  was delighted to be listening to a
Boston station from 5,000 miles away.
Unfortunately I only picked up WBZ about three or four other times in
the 15 years I was stationed, and lived on Kodiak Island..KTWO usually
wiped them out. But I did get LOTS of West Coast,  Hawaiian, Australian
and South Pacific DX at my place there...until the landlords upstairs
installed fluorescent lights...

Still have the same Original GE Superadio-1 here for listening and DX
purposes; altough it is starting to show its' age.

Rod O'Connor
Southwest Harbor, Maine