Re: Freedom of the Press?

   Bill O'Neill wrote:

> Dave Faneuf can certainly speak better to this, (although may opt not
> to at this juncture) but he confirmed this morning on WCAP News that
> the City of Lowell legal dept. has moved initiate a subpoena of WCAP's
> N/D Dave Faneuf, PM anchor Lou Wannemacher and station owner Maurice
> Cohen to appear on Friday before the state Ethic's Commission to
> reveal it's source in a story involving the Lowell Police Dept.  That,
> on the heels of those subpoenaed reserving their rights under the US
> Const.not to do so when approached at the station.  This should get
> interesting.  The press tends to put aside competitive pressures and
> pull together at times like this.

  Bill,you are so correct,as I note the following:

  Today's Lowell Sun has an article about this,as of the time I am posting
this the story is not available on line at the Sun's website
(www.lowellsun.com).I don't know if it will be posted on line at a later
date.

Also,Media One's Metro News,which airs on cable channel 3(a/k/a Media One
3) in Lowell,Tewksbury,Dracut,Billerica,and Chelmsford had this as their
top story on tonight's news broadcast.WCAP News Director Dave Faneuf spoke
on camera about his take on this matter.For anyone on the list who lives in
the above mentioned communities and has cable,this newscast will be
repeated tonight at 10PM.

Mark Watson