Re: Vikings upset Karmazin

As I understand it, one of the major technical problems
at the moment is ISPs spotty deployment of multicast
servers. If multicasting were universal, the required
bandwidth would drop significantly. There is a method
for bypassing unicast servers, but everyone who accesses
a stream via a unicast server must receive his own
stream. Everyone who accesses the stream via a multicast
server can share a single stream.

Supposedly, AOL still uses unicast servers. Maybe Steve
Case figures that if his customers could get decent
audio, they'd just overload his modems. If that's his
concern, he's trying to keep his subscribers from
clogging the back end by making sure that streaming
audio is unattrative to AOL users.