Re: Tower lighting

The airspace directly over Boston, and for a 10 mile radius around it, is
one of the more restrictive.  It is classified as Class B airspace and,
without getting too technical, one does not enter it without a
clearance.  If for example, I wanted to fly from Beverly to Providence
under visual flight rules (VFR), I would have to stay outside the 10 mile
contour, which almost exactly the same line that Route 128 follows.  The
common instruction would be to stay west of the Needham towers.

The point of this whole comment is to note that the Needham towers, with
their quantity and lighting are very easy to spot from the air and make a
very useful reporting point.

Brian

At 12:52 PM 4/22/00 -0400, Sptseditor@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 4/22/00 10:18:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>brian_vita@cssinc.com writes:
>
><< As a pilot, I prefer the strobes to the beacons.  Strobes keep your
>  attention where as beacons, especially in an urban area, can get lost in
>  the ground clutter. >>
>
>Interesting comment, Brian. IIRC, the talk in ne.transportation was that
>strobes are better for pilots.
>
>-Sean

-- Brian T. Vita, President
Cinema Service & Supply, Inc.,75 Walnut St., Peabody, MA  01960-5626
(978)538-7575/Fax (978)538-7550/Sales (800)231-8849/Sales Fax (800)329-2775
www.cssinc.com