Re: Dodgers on KXTA-1150

Officially, KXTA's night power is 44 kW. But that's sort
of a vagary of the FCC's new system for figuring AM
powers. In the old days, the night power would have been
listed as 50 kW and some sharp-eyed student of the AM
database would have noted that the night array appeared
to have a pattern rms field about 6% lower than that of
the day pattern. (A 6% reduction in field translates to
roughly a 12% reduction in power, which is equal to the
ratio of 44/50.) Curiously, such a situation exists in
reverse at WRKO, which is listed as 50 kW-U. WRKO's
night rms is significantly higher than its day rms.

I imagine that in the heart of the LA basin, KXTA must
have a killer signal. Yes, it's diplexed with KTNQ, and
uses all five of KTNQ's towers, which are 200 degrees at
1020, and a whopping 225 degrees at 1150. 225 degrees is
about the maximum practical height for standard
radiators, so the efficiency must be very high. I think
the rms field is the equivalent of well over 100 kW from
minimum height radiators. Combine that with a narrow
pattern (the reason the signal wasn't so hot in Santa
Barbara) and you have a pretty good recipe for a good
signal in the city and the close-in suburbs. The pattern
maximum must be the equivalent of around 500 kW ND from
towers of minimum efficiency. Of course, the TX is east
of LA, in (I think) Industry City, so KTNQ/KXTA unlike,
say, KFI and KNX, get no benefit from the salt water.
Still, it's a top-notch facility and quite a tribute to
what was then Jacor's engineering staff that they made
it all happen so fast.

Now for a bit of trivia, that you, Scott, may have seen
with your own eyes (and videotaped), but I've only heard
about. The KTNQ/KXTA array is apparently a _rooftop_
installation, and it wasn't when it was built! What I've
heard is that, after the towers went up, KTNQ sold or
leased the rights to built a huge warehouse _under_ the
array. I understand that the warehouse was built by
excavating the site and that the warehouse roof now
hosts the stations' ground system. Pretty clever, these
Americans.