Re: Which Northeast stations use RDS?

At 05:13 PM 3/26/00 EST, RWalker653@aol.com wrote:
>In this case, the original post was referring to the "Radio Data System", a
>device that allows stations to encode their signal with a text message
that's
>displayed on the radio. For example, WTKK's RDS message is "FM-Talk". It was
>a system that was highly praised in the 80's and has fallen in to disuse.

RDS seemed to be a solution in search of a problem.  About 10 years ago you
couldn't pick up an issue of Radio World without a long article extolling
the virtues and potential virtues of RDS.

If I'm not mistaken, there were many features no one ever used...format
identification for example.  In theory you could program your car radio
(presuming one was ever built that had the capability) to search stations
by format.  As station X faded, you could have the radio search for other
stations in the same format.

No one cared.