Re: Thursday Night Countdown Chart)

These sort of edits were known to happen. Examples:

--Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl", where "makin'
love in the green grass" was replaced with "laughin'
and-a runnin'" (taken from another part of the song)

--Charlie Daniels' "Devil Went Down to Georgia" --
"I told you once you son of a bitch" was replaced
by "...I told you once you son of a gun".

--There used to be a kids' radio show on WBUR called
Kids America-- they played an edited version of
Steve Martin's "King Tut" that replaced "he's my
favorite honky" with "did you do the monkey" (again,
taken from another part of the song). (By the way,
a more recent example of "cleaning it up for the kids"
is when the Disney Channel has Lou Bega sing a revised
version of his hit "Mambo No. 5", with "to the corner
store" (or something like that) instead of "to the
liquor store...")