Re: Recordings mixed for AM (Was Re: Radio Disney in Boston)

At 12:21 PM 3/12/00 -0500, Sven Weil wrote:

>Does anyone mix songs and check how they sound on low-fi setups like
>boomboxes and walkmans anymore?

I can tell you that with the production we do, which does include songs,
the first test is through a nice pair of studio monitors. Then we run the
pieces "in cue", through a small pair of 2-3" speakers. Production elements
that may sound great while being blasted through 100 watt speakers can
often be compressed and lost on smaller speakers. And there's nothing worse
than finishing up a piece of production, listening to it on the air on your
way home, and realizing that half the work you put into it can't even be
heard. :)

I've also known of others in the production biz who purchase and set up a
pair of car speakers in the studio, so they can hear exactly what the
production will sound like to someone in a car. And some even have run out
to the parking lot and hopped into their vehicles to test it out for the
full "acoustic experience"...

Chris Adams
Crystal Air Productions
"We Make Radio...Funny"