Re: Towers!

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000 Chuckigo@aol.com wrote:

> just curious as to when or if the freestanding stick that holds the 102.9
> WBLM mitter as well as that of WGME-TV (13) in Raymond, Maine surrendered its
> title as the largest freestanding structure in Maine.

>     i'm not sure of the actual height, but if i remember correctly, it's well
> over a thousand feet, extremely straight up in the air.

The tower is 150 feet taller then the Empire State building at 1619 feet
high. As I understand it, when it was built in the early to mid 60's by
WGAN, it was the tallest structure in the worls\d for a few short months,
until another structure overseas beat it out. The 1619 feet is not how far
above sea level, that is it's measurement from it's base to the top.

I remember being at Boy Scout Camp at Camp Hinds, in Raymond, directly
across from the tower on Panther Pond...while most towers have 3-6 ligts
(at the most) this one I beleive has 11-13.....It is visible from near the
Windham Mall, as well as all the other towns that surround
Raymond.....it's located at the end of a small road aptly titled "Tower
Road" which is off one of the roads that surround Panther Pond...... I've
driven by there to see it a couple of times...simply an amazing sight.

Jeremy Mixer
WHSN Husson College/New England School of Communications
Bangor, Maine
89.3 FM