A group of towers in Waltham

<<On Tue, 15 Feb 2000 00:44:04 -0500, "A. Joseph Ross" <lawyer@world.std.com> said:

> Route 128, near the junction with Route 20 in Waltham, there's a hill
> straight ahead, and it has four towers on it, all different.  One seems to
> be full of dish antennas.

That's Bear Hill, an old Bell System microwave site.  It was also the
last hop in the chain that brought the TV network signals up from New
York in the pre-satellite days.

There's some military stuff on the top of nearby Prospect Hill.
Prospect Hill was also for quite a while an important link in the
NEARnet (R.I.P.) 10-Mbit/s microwave network (good riddance).  (That
site was chosen by standing on top of an MIT building, looking off
towards MIT Lincoln Labs, and noticing that there was a hill in the
way.)

-GAWollman