Re: WSMN / Gene Burns

At 11:29 PM 2/11/00 -0500, SteveOrdinetz wrote:

>Maybe Imus' poor showing is more a reflection of Imus himself and not
>necessarily to do with his switching stations...listener fatigue may be
>setting in.  His numbers were down on our local affiliate, too.  You can
>only listen to so much about his kid and the ranch.  Someone also ought to
>tell him no one really cares about Clinton's sexual follies anymore.  Maybe
>he needs some fresh material.

I haven't heard anyone say that Imus' bad numbers are a result of being on
WTKK.  The reason that WEEI was less than enthusiastic to renew him was
because his numbers had been in a decline for a while.  He used to have an
interesting show but its turned into an infomercial for his book, his ranch
and Auto Body Express (or whatever his brother's company is).

The point that I and a lot of others made back in August/September is that
they were building an entire format on this already eroding
foundation.  They grabbed the Imus show and then quickly scrambled to fill
out the broadcast day.  As a result they have a schedule build around
secondary level programs, the type that are usually found on a AM daytimer.

The other point that was made is that talk, as a format, had already peaked
nationally and all of the syndicated/network shows were already losing
numbers.  Stern, Rush, Dr. Laura and others were losing market
numbers.  The comment that I had made at the time was that they were taking
a finite sized (and shrinking) market and just recutting the pieces a bit
smaller.  While WBZ seems to be immune, WRKO, WEEI (both old and new) and
other talkers in the area have watched their overall numbers drop.

The sweeping new format of "Hot FM Talk" turned out to be more the fantasy
of some overpaid consultant and less of a viable product.  Given its
current showing, wasting a major market FM signal on it is corporate
malfeasance (any GM stockholders out there?).

I think that the future of talk is to stay on AM but to supplement it with
Internet feeds.  I listen to NAC and talk in both my office and car
depending on my mood and what's available in a given market.  If I can't
find content on one or the other that interests me, on goes the tape.  I've
had WTKK on in my office but the content is what I call "blahblah" talk and
boring.  I'd put on WRKO and WBZ (even WMEX) but I can't get AM in my steel
and concrete bunker.  If they were on the web, I've got DSL so it would be
no problem.

In the next month or so I plan on phasing out the FM tuner in my office and
replacing it with a PC with an MP3 Juke Box and a Real Audio type streaming
audio player.  I'll load it up with CD's and plug in the DSL.  If I find
something that I'm in the mood for on the web in either talk or NAC, I'll
listen.  When it gets boring, on goes the streaming audio.

Brian
--Brian T. Vita, President
Cinema Service & Supply, Inc., 75 Walnut St., Peabody, MA  01960-5626
(978)538-7575/Fax (978)538-7550/Sales (800)231-8849/Sales Fax (800)329-2775
***Visit Our Online Store at www.cssinc.com***