Re: Depth of talent lessened? (Was: WGAN)

At 07:55 PM 2/5/00 -0500, Douglas J. Broda wrote:
)

>IOW, from a listener's perspective I think there are still many talented
>people on radio, but the depth is lessened markedly. I'd love to hear
>perspectives on why, but I'll throw out as possibilities the more
>fragmented radio market, the addition of many more TV outlets (local and
>cable), and the automation and/or satelliting of so many small stations
>that were once talent breeders.

I'm sure that's a major contributing factor, but how about this theory?
The demise of music on AM?  Growing up in the late 60s/70s I was exposed to
major market talent from half the country, especially at night.  These days
you're pretty much limited to what's within a 75 mile radius.  If you live
in a city with so-so radio, you're pretty much SOL.  Yeah, there's
webcasting today, but that's a pretty weak substitute...even with a 56k
connection, there are lots of dropouts, and it's not always the best
stations in any given market that webcast.