Re: CINW All News

At 11:53 PM 2/6/00 -0500, Stephen Pickford wrote:
>Martin Waters wrote:
>
>While Montreal's English-speaking population (when factored in the ethnic,
>allophone population) exceeds that of DSM 69, Des Moines, there are only 3
>English AM stations --- CJAD 800, CINW 940, and CKGM 990.  CINW's
>predecessor, CIQC 600, was the only 1 of the 3 to be owned by a Montreal
>company, and programmed entirely out of Montreal (CJAD, a unit of Toronto's
>Standard Broadcasting, and CKGM, part of CHUM Group, also of Toronto, while
>having local PDs in name, have the bulk of said decisions dictated from head
>office).

Yup, the Montreal Anglo vs. Toronto thing runs deep. And I can understand
why that would cause gall at the thought of Rogers grabbing CINW... but
wouldn't that be better than the status quo? I mean, it would cut the CNN
Headline News stuff waaaay down, and at least a Toronto voice is better for
Montreal than an Atlanta, US-aimed voice, no?

But there will be a fourth English AM voice, with 600 supposedly going to a
local group to air all-sports.

>2)- Exact copy of Toronto's CFTR 680, owned by Rogers Communications (which
>gives credence to
>    the rumour that Metromedia wants to sell CINW to Rogers, who also own a
>news outlet in
>    Vancouver, to create the quasi-national network that Doug Broda
>suggested)...not just the
>    format copied, but so uncreative as to be EXACTLY the same...down to
>Business Travel Weather
>    at :29, and lottery results at :59...business at :26 and :56, etc. ---
>not simply the same
>    types of segments, but at the exact same time on the clock.

Amazingly slavishly copied.... though, of course, CFTR is a lot more
professional in its sound.

>3)- CINW's switch to all-news has left no room on the dial for the Expos,
>who promise to have a
>    revitalized team this year under Jeffrey Loria...it just wouldn't do to
>do away with a taped
>    newscast when you could air a winning ball team would it?  Thus, 2
>months before the season
>    begins, negotiations continue with the Toronto parents of CJAD and
>CKGM...and it might very
>    well mean that the only way to hear the team, other than in French, will
>be on 620 Burlington.

A time buy is another option, either on an FM or on the coming 600 sports
station (which will be in no financial position to pay rights fees). That
could be a win-win.

>4)- Advertisements for "guaranteed weather"...but nobody ever actually
>saying what that guarantee
>    was going to be ... most likely the only guarantee is that, ok, we'll
>have weather tomorrow..

LOL! (WCBS in NYC did something similar, but as I recall they had a
payofff...)

Douglas J. Broda
Broda and Burnett
Attorneys at Law