Best Jingle Sings (was: WROR)

"Douglas J. Broda" wrote:

> Only problem with WROR's niche is that it doesn't quite fit an "I'd Rather
> Be" JAM jingle package. I'd pass a law that any station using the WROR
> calls must not only play a format that perfectly fits that package, but
> must run at least one "I'd Rather Be" jingle per hour. :)

Jingles do resonate in our memories, eh?  I miss BZ's "the Spirit of
New England,"  WHDH's "The Best Show in Boston."  Closer to home,
WCAP had a good run with "The Number One Voice" for quite some time
(and, perhaps, them having my name sung didn't hurt the
voting....)(Thanks again Joe!)  If jingles are done well, they can
cut through the din like a blow torch in an ice castle.  WINS stager
under "22 mins...the world" still makes me proud to be a
radiophile.  I absolutely LOVED Metromedia's WNEW package... "Double
you... NEW... Metromedia New York (repeat & f.)  The old, till late
80s top hour nx intro for Mutual News (timpani, etc.) was great.
WHDH had a package, as did WBZ, where there was a lengthy list of
metro towns' names sung; I always found it interesting how listeners
related to hearing their town mentioned in the string.  Very
seventies, but given the bad hair, bell bottoms, lava lamps and
Debbie Boone, lapels wider than the state of Nevada, you gotta
praise something!

Bill O'Neill