Re: LPFM - Tech Question

At 12:42 PM 1/21/00 -0500, Shawn Mamros wrote:

>There is not now, and never has been, any regulation that would stop
>one from setting up such a station, assuming the frequency space is
>available.  It's called Class A, and it allows for anywhere from
>100 to 6,000 watts.

But aren't the day-to-day requirements for Class A stations stricter/more
cumbersome than for LPFM (that is, the same as for any full-power FM)?

>Matter of fact, a lot of such "rural" Class A stations were created
>around 15-20 years ago, under Docket 80-90.  Thing is, most of the
>folks who owned those stations sold them to much larger broadcasting
>companies, who then used those stations as rimshotters into the nearest
>urban market.

At least those close enough to urban markets.

I have real trouble with the rimshots because the FCC's approved some very
questionable changes to the COL/TX location/etc. to help them become
rimshots in some cases. If suburbia sprawls enough to reach the rimshot's
signal area, then I have no trouble with that -- it's the cases where the
original signal couldn't reach any area of substantial size (then or now),
but the FCC let them amend to reach a new area that bother me.

That said, I agree that making the LPFMs non-comm helps, but wouldn't the
power limit stop them from becoming rimshots even if they were commercial?

Douglas J. Broda
Broda and Burnett
Attorneys at Law
80 Ferry Street, Troy, NY 12180 USA