Re: Talking Information Ctr. (was: WGBX/44 reduced power.)

At 05:16 PM 1/20/00 -0500, you wrote:
>> What is the Talking Information Center?
>>
>> Is it some kind of radio reading service for the blind?
>> Those make for interesting listening...
>>
>> Sven F. Weil

TIC is based out of Marshfield, in the same building as WATD. They've been
around for about 20 years, and are a fantastic service, especially
considering almost the entire "air staff" is made up of volunteers. I've
done volunteer reading for them for the past 5 years, and even in that time
they've grown quite a bit, and have become quite state-of-the-art (digital
equipment, new facilities).

The bulk of the day's programming is done out of the Marshfield studios,
but they have satellite affiliates who do sporadic local programming
throughout the day (Springfield, Lowell, Framingham, to name a few). They
service approximately 20,000 listeners these days, and are the model for
many similar services around the country. Here's the web site:

http://www.ultranet.com/%7Etalking/

Chris Adams
Crystal Air Productions
"We Make Radio...Funny"