Re: More on WPTR

I think the old "new WMEX" that Joe Ross is talking
about is the 1957 (or so) incarnation with top 40 all
day, Arnie in the evening, Jerry in late night, and
Larry overnight. I suspect that the reason 1060 bears
the WMEX calls is that Jerry probably has a financial
stake in it, and he has said several times on the air
that the worst thing that ever happened to 1510 was the
change in calls from WMEX to WITS. He decidedly did not
like they guy who had bought the station and changed the
calls (Joe Scallon?)

In fact, I also thought that the WITS calls were clever.
In my opinion, the worst thing that ever happened to the
station was the incredibly lame and awful music
selection when it was adult-standards WMRE. The music
was so bad that Norm Nathan and Bill Marlowe together
couldn't save the station. My nomination for runner up
worst thing is collectively, everything that Communicom
tried, from brokered religion to brokered talk. Around
the middle of my list (roughly half way between best and
worst) is the eight months or so when the station was
silent. I could get WWKB and WTOP without difficulty,
but they weren't so hot at the time either.