Re: NorthEast Radio Watch 1/7: The Dawn of 2000

Umm, yes _WBIV_ applied for a move to ex-band, but that was back in 1991
(September 3, 1991 to be exact--look at the FCC file number). WBIV (or
whatever the calls had become by then) did not make the cut when the FCC
handed out CPs for ex-band about five years ago. Note that the coordinates
are those of the Sewell St site, which is now the 890 site and is also the
proposed 650 site. But I don't think that has anything to do with the
present situation on 1060.

The upgrade to 40 kW-D/22 kW-CH DA2-D using WKOX's two 440' top-loaded
towers has been built and was on the air for proofs of performance just
before New Years. The proofs are done and Langer has filed to modify the CP
for CH operation to specify augmentation of the CH pattern (a standard
occurrence for any directional station). A day later, he filed for a license
to cover.

I think it will be a while before the FCC acts, however. The augmentation is
quite large, although I suspect that the augmented operation would not
interfere with KYW. In all likelihood, the tall chimney at the Framinham
Municipal Incinerator directly across Mt Wayte Ave to the north of the
WKOX/WMEX site is re-radiating the signal and distorting the pattern (so
badly that the null ay 180 degrees is completely wiped out). The latest
application for modification of CP cites only one augmentation centered at
an azimuth of 179.5 degrees and extending for 35.5 degrees on each side. I
imagine that the FCC needs the consent of Infinity's engineers before giving
WMEX the OK for program-test authority.

Of course, any opportunity for review would give Infinity a chance to raise
the whole issue of 40 kW all over again. To me, it looks as if the first
modification of the CP (specifying a move to the WKOX site but modifying
only the CH facilities) was granted in error, and that Infinity (maybe it
was still CBS at the time) was asleep at the switch. The original CP for 40
kW specified the former Unisys property on Rt 117 in Sudbury, a location
that Langer knew was not available when he applied for it; Sudbury had
refused WKOX's earlier application to use the same site. The proposed towers
at that site were to be 240' high and thus were significantly less efficient
than the WKOX towers. I presume that when the FCC granted the CP with 40 kW
rather than the 50 kW that Langer had originally applied for, the power
reduction was made to avoid prohibited overlap with WBZ. Only 26.5 kW would
be needed to produce the same signal from the WKOX towers as 40 kW would
have produced from the proposed towers in Sudbury.

I think the daytime operation on 1060 with increased power will eventually
get on the air, though I think there's a good chance the power will be less
than 40 kW. Just when the change will take place is another matter. And
whether the whole idea of the talk format with Jerry Williams will still be
alive by that time makes for interesting speculation. As they say, "stay
tuned."

BTW, M Street Journal just last week announced that Grace Broadcasting,
owner of WNEB and Langer's LMA partner (on 1060 now and 650 after 1060 goes
on with higher power), has an option to buy 650 from Langer.
--

Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@worldnet.att.net
Phone: 1-617-558-4205, eFax: 1-707-215-6367