Re: More Canadian censorship

On 8 Jan 00, at 13:52, Dib9@aol.com wrote:

> So you wouldn't object to the President or Congress telling NPR or PBS
> what to broadcast?

The goals for each organization is different.  NPR and PBS are set
up to be cultural and educational alternatives to commercial
broadcasting.  CBC's goal is to provide Canadians with an outlet for
their own culture, as opposed to the American entertainment and
news that floods their country.  If PBS or NPR were to become
blatantly commercialized and entertainment-oriented (some think
they are), I would encourage the government to remind them of
their reasons for existence.  If the CBC strayed from providing
Canadian oriented programming, I'd expect the Canadian
government to reign them in there, too.

Canadian news articles point out that the government looks closely
at programming commitments from private stations in Canada as
well as public stations.  The regulatory climate is more like it used
to be in the US.  When you consider what's happened in US
broadcasting, that's not such a bad idea.

Mark
laurence@sprintmail.com