Re: WBOS

At 12:28 PM 1/7/00 -0500, Mike Thomas wrote:

>An alternative gold format would pick up where WROR leaves off musically,
but would be
>different from WZLX.  It wouldn't conflict with Greater Media's other
properties, but would
>still target adult demographics, which is the goal of all the GM
properties in town.

Granted, there is a gaping hole in most markets for a format that targets a
30-45 audience with a male lean to it.  I dunno that there would be enough
songs from that era that would be memorable enough to withstand the test of
time.  Yeah, there are plenty of "oh wow" songs from that era, but a lot of
people thought a 70s format would fly too.  How many of *those* stations
are still around that haven't segued to Classic Rock or some sort of
rhythmic oldies?  And audiences were less fragmented in the 70s than the
80s--you'd definitely have to include a lot of what Bill O'Neil calls
Euro-*%^^$# to fill out even a 300 song playlist.

Everyone talks about how great WBCN was in their free-form days, but like
Woodstock, more people fondly remember it than were actually there, and a
station that played King Crimson, The Fugs, and lots more obscure artists
no one even had heard of back then would flop badly.  Alternative was in
*its* infancy in the 80s, and while it was cool, were there enough
legitimate hits to sustain an oldies format?  WLYN-FM/WFNX wasn't exactly a
ratings leader in 1983 either, you know...you'd have to reach well beyond
the college-educated 30 and 40 somethings driving around in Land Rovers to
make it work, just as Classic Rock had to attract more than just
ex-hippies.