Re: **Kenny Mayer**HELP

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Kevin Vahey wrote:

> I m not sure if the man ever slept, as you could call him at all hours at W0
> 9 8989 and more often than not, he would answer the phone. He did the show
> from his basement in Newton and actually sprang for a decent telco line.

It wasn't live, though, at least not by 1980. The show was recorded each
Tuesday afternoon on two 10" reels at the transmitter building on Saw Mill
Brook Parkway, and one of us would go there every Sunday night to play it
back. That's why Kenny Mayer never gave exact time checks; he always said
it was thus and such a time "give or take a few minutes", and would
sometimes go on to apologize for the inaccuracy of his watch.

Rob Landry
umar@nerodia.wcrb.com