The Newscenter 5 Anchor Follies (Or: Candy Altman's Panic Attack)

I'm not sending this message through my regular E-Mail server. To
respond, send replies to:<notquite@hotmail.com>. Thanks!

With Brian Leary's decision to leave WCVB-5 at the end of this month,
the anchor desk turmoil is only getting worse. Leary's departure means
that we won't see Brian and Heather inheriting the 5, 6, and 11 P.M.
newscasts (and Chet and Nat demoted).

Brian Leary was probably the best possible co-anchor to work with Heater
Kahn, who is weak as a solo anchor. Anthony Everett may end up joining
Heather Kahn at 5, 6, and 11, but I don't think his talents would
compansate for any weaknesses in Heather.

I would think that WCVB news director Candy Altman is frantically trying
to find a new "prime"
(read: weeknights at 6 and 11 P.M.) anchor team from outside the
station, and hoping (against hope?) that they'd be ready to go on the
air in time for the February sweeps. I say that because if I were in Ms.
Altman's position, I would not want Chet and Nat at 5, 6, and 11 P.M.
during the February sweeps (given their seperation). But unless the new
anchors are hired away from a rival station, or are natives of the
Boston area, the only way WCVB could have a new "prime" anchor team is
pairing Heather and Anthony (or stick with Chet and Nat for now, and get
a new team in place for the May sweeps).

If we do see major anchor ashuffles at WCVB, it will probably make
WHDH-7 dominant in news "across the board".

Joseph Gallant
Reply to: <notquite@hotmail.com>