Re: elected officials on the air ...

On 3 Jan 00,  Sptseditor@aol.com wrote:

> Another reason why Braude's continued on-air work is even more questionable
> that Cambridge uses a system of "proportional representation" where you
> rank the candidates in order of preference as opposed to our usual
> elections. With nine city-wide council seats in Cambridge, there are
> usually 15-20 candidates running for the seats every other year. That makes
> it even more of a problem, since one candidate could come along and demand
> that all candidates are given equal access to the airwaves.

Well, there used to be a "fairness doctrine" by which the FCC required
equal time to all candidates.  I don't quite remember when it was
abolished, but it was.  I remember that, back in the early 70s, when
George Takei (Sulu) was running for Los Angeles City Council, Star Trek
didn't run in Los Angeles.  I think the animated Star Trek premiered that
year, and they kept the episodes which had Sulu off in Los Angeles until
after the election.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                 617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                             lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503              http://world.std.com/~lawyer/